Radical “improvements”

I got some 25mm square batons and placed them inside the gunwales and secured them with screws. This took care of the longitudinal rigidity. A thwart across the width further improved stiffness. I also repositioned the seat and footrests based on what I learnt from the previous outing.

Bracing for stiffness

Bracing for stiffness


The next challenge was to negate the rocker along the keel line to improve tracking. I was surprised by the amount of rocker on a boat which is primarily designed to perform well in a straight line, it is almost banana shaped!
Banana boat!

Banana boat!


It was clear that I could not take it all out along the entire keel line without significant redesign.
The stern rocker

The stern rocker


I decided to concentrate on changes which should have the biggest impact. In this case it would be the bow and stern.
The bow rocker

The bow rocker


I took two lengths of timber and cut them to the shape of the hull. These I secured with “no-more-nails”. I then cut them to the straightest line achievable from stern to bow. I ignored the centre part of the hull and it still has a slight rounding.
A practical compromise

A practical compromise


A further piece of plywood closed the gap in the shape of the bow and then it was ready for about two tons of filler!
Shaping the bow

Shaping the bow


I eventually built up the shape of the bow.
A new bow

A new bow


And the stern.
Redesigned stern

Redesigned stern


It’s not pretty, but I’m hoping that it will be effective.
Rocker eliminated

Rocker eliminated


There’s only one way to find out……………

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s