I’ve now got quite a collection of racing kayak seats in my quest for a better canoe seat design. One thing that has struck me is that they are all pretty much the same size and shape. OK there are a few tiny differences but the manufacturers seem to assume that one size will fit all racing kayak paddler’s bottoms.
Once again, compare this to the cycling world where there are literally hundreds of saddle designs, shapes, sizes and materials, plus a whole host of different options for lady riders.
The discerning canoe racer however is more demanding, and much prefer a tractor seat type design, plus they are seated much higher.
Anyway, I set about modifying my original effort and recast it to have more volume at the back.
The picture shows the size compared with a “standard” racing K1 seat.
Next I needed something on which to mount it. I have made a number of seat supports using timber and fibre glass, but they take so long to shape them to support the seat pan.
As it happened, two new seats from Nelo had just arrived. These are a rather different and innovative design in that the seat is supported by a cast metal frame.
The seat pan is secured by five rivets. So I drilled off the rivets and separated the cast metal “spider”.
Together with some stainless steel bolts and some plastic spacers, I secured the new seat pan to the frame.
I had just got the Darkness Duet back for a few days, so I bolted it into the rear of the C2, and John and I took it out from Pewsey Wharf.
I’m showing it compared with a K1 racing seat. The marks around the edges are where I used pegs to hold the two layers of foam whilst the glue set. At this point I was reluctant to cut the seat runners down.
Well at first it felt weird because it was different to what I was used to. On the return from Wootton Rivers I’d forgotten about the new seat and was quite used to it after the hour.
I’ve now made a second one and secured both to square profile aluminium tubes ready for testing. I’ve also trimmed the runners.
I’ve mounted them on timber supports so they should sit on the flanges with just the timber drilled to math existing holes.
I now need to get them tested.